It depends entirely what your intentions are but here are the general format uses to help you out.
· 1:1 format: If you use traditional Slideshow/OHP (Overhead Projector), Document Camera, and commercial projector presentations. These are most commonly used in schools, government facilities, and houses of worship.
· 4:3 NTSC format: PC software, Commercial Presentations (if your projector is SVGA or XGA native resolution), Classroom Training, and Gaming.
· 16:9 HDTV format: Home Theater Movies and Gaming
· 16:10 format: PC software, video games, video editing, presentations from notebooks with WXGA or WUGA native output.
· 2.35:1 Cinemascope format: Strictly Home Theater movies.